Friday, August 7

Oh Whooops!

So I haven't blogged in a while, and there's good reason why. This summer has been super crazy busy (and I like it) and I just haven't found time to prioritize blogging sooner. And I just got internet at home.

So- here's my super duper, if you've been following me on twitter, or my friend on facebook, you already know all about. So you, lucky friend, can skip to the end where I'll begin my several blog fictional story.

This year I promised myself I'd get back to my roots and do something outside of work which fulfilled me in some way. So I looked back on my life and the times I had really strong goals and dreams. Guess what? My dream hasn't always been to be a Tutoring Coordinator at small public liberal arts institution. Far from it. I used to have dreams of making it big, being a known name, yes, I wanted to go to Hollywood and be an actor/director. Maybe the occasional violin playing member of a rock band (if only violins were so cool). So I looked around at my opportunities here in small town, SC. Community orchestra where if you haven't played much in years and you're welcome... Nope. Community theater where no experience is necessary... BINGO! Next thing I know I'm volunteering my Saturdays to build and paint sets, I'm auditioning for Doubt, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and Mere Mortals. I ended up getting two out of three parts, which I figure is not too shabby. (For those wondering, I didn't get the part of the nun in Doubt... go figure. Instead I'm a very innocent looking whore.)

So my summer days have included Monday thru Thursday, working 7:30-5:30 for the university, going home for about 15-30 minutes, running off to rehearsal and dancing, singing, or memorizing lines, coming home, crawling like the living dead into bed, and falling asleep. I'll have to say, I've had some of the best rest over the past couple months.

I am loving it. I've made some new friends, which is what I needed. I'm starting to like Aiken a whole hell of a lot better. Every day I find out just how small a town Aiken is. I'm feeling motivated to do interesting things outside of work, and I'm remaining fairly modest about my accomplishments. I'm definitely going to keep auditioning for plays at the Aiken Community Playhouse. I'm thinking of giving more time to practicing violin and starting to give free lessons to middle and high school students who can't afford them. It feels great. I'm feeling much more upbeat about living in the south and getting great exposure to everything that makes it a unique and interesting place to live.

Finally, the story.

Again, she sighed. Marie stood up tall, reached toward the ceiling and stretched her aching muscles. It was so tiring to stand there all day long in a practically empty store. Marie silently thanked her lucky stars she didn't work on commission, and the wished for a book to read to pass the time.

Ding, ding. Marie looked up at the door as a little old couple walked in the store. Mentally, Marie rolled her eyes, knowing they were only in there because the skies had just opened up and dumped down water from the heavens. It was like a deluge out there.

"Sandy- I'ma gonna go outside and get me some fresh air," Marie said. "Why don't you watch the register while I'm gone?"

Marie walked around the counter, opened the door, and walked out on the porch. There stood a young man, about 20-ish, dishwater blond hair, brown eyes, and a decent tan.

"Hi, can I help you with anything, sir?" Marie asked of him.

"No, ma'am, I'm just standing here so I don't get wet," He replied.

"Well, feel comfortable to take a load off and relax in the hammock," She told him. "Where you from?"

"Maine," he replied. "Where are you from?"

"I've lived here in Pawleys all my life," she replied. "Are you here for vacation?"

"Yeah, my family got a beach house over on the island. We come here every year for the 4th of July," He answered.

"Well then, you already know all about the parade on the 4th that you just can't miss. Well, would you look at that. Five minutes and the rain's all done. You have a nice afternoon," Marie told him.

As she headed back inside he asked her, "What's your name?"

"Marie," she told him. She opened the door. She didn't hear it shut back. As she walked around the counter she noticed he had followed her in. He was looking at the chimes by the front door.

"what kind of stuff does your store sell?" he asked.

"we're a gift store. If you want anything that has Pawleys on it, we've got it on the other side of the shop. In this room we've got garden type of stuff, " She babbled. Damn it, I need to stop running my mouth or he's just goin' to think I'm just another one of the hicks from around here.

"Hey, Marie," He started. "When do you get off of work?"

"I'll be done when the store closes at 6," she told him.

"Wanna come over to our beach house? My parents are having a lot of people over tonight, mostly their age or their small kids. I don't have anyone to hang out with, and I thought it might be fun to have someone my age to talk to," He asked. "What do you say? Are you game?"

To be continued...

No comments: